Ok I am not a consistent blogger but I don't know where to post these interesting TV findings other than here.
I happened to be watching Arthur the cartoon tv show...I noticed something very interesting .... adult culture mixed into children shows really interests me since the children watching this have never experienced the adult reference. In this episode of Arthur, "Fern and the case of the stolen story" Fern tells a detective story and it is clearly a spoof of Agatha Christie's Poirot, the main character has a Belgian accent and her name rhymes with Poirot, and her partner (Bastings) is a play on Poirot's partner Captain Hastings. The phrases and detective style is literally the same as that of Poirot. Ironically the episode is about stealing other peoples works and changing the names slightly. Then not only is this knock off Poirot in this episode but also "Phony Fern" It was that episode that it went from walking the line with a subtle hint of imitation to full blown character paralleling. The simple phrase involving "little gray cells" It is a common phrase of Poirot when he deduces and solves a crime typically him being cocky at the end of an episode essentially saying he is smart.
-MEW
No comments:
Post a Comment